e16: “Thembi Bheka says ” Surround yourself with people of your culture when you first move to your new country, but it is necessary to broaden your horizons to become part of the bigger picture, because “your net worth is your network.””
Part 2 – This is the fascinating story of how a Zimbabwen girl found herself in Canada in 2001 with only $5 in her pocket. Thembi Bheka shares her nadvigating journey with Bassey Simon.
This Episode Summary
In this episode Thembi shares challenges, she faced such as integration and communication, and how she faced them. She shares her feelings of isolation when cultural differences made even jokes difficult to understand. In the beginning, she worked two jobs, and still found it hard to make ends meet because depression led her to spend more, and send more money back home because “you can never send enough money to Africa.”
She explains that sometimes immigrants work so hard, keeping two and three jobs, they don’t make time to enjoy their lives. She has learned that living a comfortable life instead of an extravagant life, allows her to enjoy her life.
One of the thought patterns she has had to unlearn from her upbringing is the unwillingness to give to others. Certainly people always help their family, but she has seen what can be done when resources are pooled to fund a resource or charity. She also asserts that practical application, built through volunteer work, only adds to academic education.
Education is not only about degrees and certificates. You must have a big why for what you are doing.
What will she change if she’s the president of Zimbabwe? Foreign dependency Mindset of the people. You are responsible for their own destiny, not the government or anyone else.
She has returned to Zimbabwe with the purpose of empowering women by teaching them real-life skills in technology. She also brings women from North America to share their knowledge. She believes it is important to surround yourself with people of your culture when you first move to your new country, but it is necessary to broaden your horizons to become part of the bigger picture, because “your net worth is your network”
So, What’s your Nadvigating Story? Are you ready to share it with the World? I will like to tell it. Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, or click on the VoiceNotes button to get started.
Listen or Subscribe to The Nadvigators Podcast on
Resources Mentioned in Episode 16:
- Rich Dad, Poor Dad by Robert Kiyosaki, and Sharon Lechter
- Take Thembi FREE 5-day challenge to discover your purpose. Go to shebreaksthru.com/5days
Major Take-Away from Episode 16:
“ Your net worth is your network” – @thembi.bheka
Thembi’s success formula:
- Live a simple life and avoid going into too much debt.
- Get rid of the scarcity mindset because it will strangle you. There are resources, money, and opportunities sufficient for everyone
- Start creating your own community. Look for meetup local meetup groups, attend educational events and associate with people that share the same interest, because “your net worth is your network”
- Develop a Volunteer and giving mindset. Give your time and resources to things you believe in. You do not have to be a millionaire to do that and giving to your family only does not count as giving mindset.
- One reliable place to get great information is on the resources section of nadcast.com/resources
Basim Digital Lab: What do you do with the 96% of your website visitors that do not contact you? Basim Digital Lab specializes in using data to optimize your cold traffic campaign and retargeting every visitor that landed on your site for 90 days using a proven 10X retargeting strategy. Visit Nadcast.com/basim to start your FREE one month trial.
How to Connect with Thembi Bheka
- Speaking Engagements & Mentoring: She Breaks Thru Website